Sunday, June 24

:|

So far any time I have tested the theory that not smiling, as a woman, leads people to believe that you are powerful and deserving of respect, it has proven true.

However in most situations in my life it is more important to me to be friendly/ make friends than it is to hold a position of power.  So I still smile often.

However that is a useful thing to know.  And by "know" I mean it is a useful thing to have proven to myself several times over.  Which means I can do it - not smile in a situation where I am expected to smile - without thinking about it, without the anxiety of breaking a social rule.

Here is a thought experiment for you: the next time you read something peppered with / punctuated by smiley faces, mentally change the smiley faces to neutral faces. : | Then read it again and mentally change them to sad faces. :( Then consider what this reveals about the function of smiley face emoticons in writing. Bonus points if you consider how use of the smiley face emoticon is gendered.

No comments:

Post a Comment