Tuesday, August 28

Animorph app

I know what the four people who read this blog are wondering.  And that is this:

"Now that you have a Droid Razr Maxx 3000 phone, what apps have you downloaded?"

1. Color Flash.  It's a flashlight.  You can use the flashbulb on the back of the phone that's made for the camera as the flashlight, or you can choose to have the screen light up instead, which is less intense.  I mostly use this when I read in bed at night.  I just set my phone on my pillow and read without moving my head.

What makes this flashlight app different from others?  It has a police siren feature, where the screen alternates red and blue light.  In case you are in high school and have a video group project where someone needs to pretend to get arrested. 

Maybe all flashlight apps have that feature.  I am not going to download them all and then tell you which ones do and don't, because this is not a real blog.  This is a blog that four people read.

2. Hour Glass.  This app is useless and hypnotic.  It is an hourglass that responds to the phone being tipped one way or another, or all the way over.  The hourglass is full of little balls, instead of sand.  You can decide what colors you want everything to be, along with the size and amount and elasticity and density of the balls.  The app does not tell you how long it takes for all the balls to fall, which makes it truly useless.  I, however, zone out on it a couple times a week.

3. Moon 3D.  This app tells you what phase the moon is in.  I guess you can look at the dark side of the moon with it, or something... like, a picture of the dark side of the moon... but I don't do that because it's bad luck.  Have you ever seen the Wizard of Oz?  Chyeah.

4. WomanLog.  This app tells you when you are going to start shedding your uterine lining, and what days are optimal for getting pregnant or avoiding getting pregnant.  Ideally, there would be an app that combines Moon 3D and WomanLog, so that I can make some sort of goddessey connection between the moon's cycle and my body's, but I haven't seen one that does that yet.

5. GT Lite.  This app is "The Goddess Tarot."  I do the one-card oracle reading where I ask it a question and then it gives me a card and its interpretation.  I think tarot cards are fun, especially quality ones that have interesting illustrations and weave in actual mythology or folklore connected with whatever goddess/plant/animal the picture's of.  I just asked the oracle if I am nauseous because I ate Skittles earlier, and it responded with the Fortune card featuring Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of prosperity. 

6. BeFunky photo editor.  This is probably not the best photo editor but I am okay with it.  I like Instagram but I don't like how you have to crop all your pictures into a square to use it.  BeFunky is pro-rectangle.  It has a lot of filters.  I want to say like 10-15.  You can also change the exposure etc manually.  It lets you save the pictures you edit to your phone, which I didn't used to think Instagram lets you do.  (It does, you just have to be sneaky about it.)  Anyway.  I would download various other photo editing apps to play with them if I wasn't seriously concerned that I spend too much time on my phone as it is.

7. WebMD.  This is a terrible app that will convince you you are dying.  Do not install it.  I have it on my phone just in case I feel like freaking the hell out.

8. Obviously I also have the Amazon app, the Yelp app, and the Google Maps app.

In summation, I feel like there are other apps out there I would enjoy, but I don't know about them.  I am not into games.  I refuse to download anything that's a game. 

There's probably like an herb and plant identifier app that's cool.  There might be temperature/weather forecast apps that are better than just looking that info up online. 

There might be an app that has you log everything you eat and how much you sleep and whether you've pooped lately and how much you exercise and how much you hang out with people TO SEE HOW your mood/outlook/severity of depression are affected by those factors.  That would be pretty cool.  I would also want it to track how many hangnails I have, how clean my room is, how many days it's been since I washed my hair.  How many pages of my journal I've filled with writing.  How many unanswered emails, texts, and unlistened-to voicemails I have.  I could track all of those things manually and make like a Microsoft Office pie chart... box and whisker plot?... to interpret all the data, but you know.  That wouldn't give me a reason to stare at my phone. 

WHAT APPS DO YOU HAVE?  What apps do you wish existed?  What apps do you think are crappy?  (Crapps!)  Let me know.



3 comments:

  1. I do not have a smart phone, so I don't know if this is an app as well as a website, but there's this site called Wolfram Alpha (which sounds like an evil corporation on Buffy) that will tell you what planes are flying overhead along with a sky map. You can then Google the flight number and find out where they're going and where they've been. I like to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pageonce can track all your money and bills in one place. I use that to check my bank balance quickly. Gasbuddy, for when you're driving again to find cheapest gas close to you. I use Yelp ALL THE TIME. Wikipedia app is handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those all sound very useful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete