Thursday, May 19

I Wrote This Entry On a Piece of Notebook Paper While Drinking Chuli Stout in Town

As with heaven, only certain people are chosen to be Night Audit clerks: you have to be either left-handed or transgendered, and like reading.

At the lodge where I worked last summer in Utah, the main Night Audit clerk was Linda, a Danny DeVito lookalike with a grey ponytail, who wore bright red nail polish and flowered shirts.  Technically/physically she was a man, but she preferred to be referred to as a woman.  I used to see her reading in the cafeteria all the time.

The Night Audit relief clerk there was (I think still is?) Rodney, a left-handed Native American man who had a bunch of intimidating philosophy books in his employee housing dorm room.  I borrowed one, never read it, gave it back.

The main Night Audit clerk here is a left-handed woman who has mentioned bringing a book with her to work.  And this lodge's newest Night Audit relief person is moi, a lefty who got herself a Matanuska-Susitna Borough library card today.

To those who would say it's arbitrary and unfair that only transgendered or left-handed readers get to go to heaven, I say: The ways of hotel front desk managers are not our ways.  

Here are some photos I took today that are unrelated to this post:

Mt McKinley

Skywater

Caterpillar Tree

Colors
Yeah

3 comments:

  1. The longer I think about Linda the more I think she may have been left-handed as well. But I'm not sure if I think that because it would be perfect, or if she really was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ways of the Hotel Front Desk Managers are not our ways, nor are their thoughts our thoughts ;)

    You're going to love the stillness and freedom of being up all night, punctuated, obviously, by random and ridiculous events/adventures/emergencies I expect to read about!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally qualify. Lefty, not transgendered, in case you were wondering :)

    ReplyDelete